Economics of lucerne establishment for the western wheatbelt

CC BY 4.0

Research organisaton

Trial details

Researcher(s) Bob Thompson
Year(s) 2014
Contributor Central West Farming Systems
Trial location(s) West Wyalong, NSW
Economics of lucerne establishment for the western wheatbelt locations

To discuss the economics of lucerne establishment.

Key messages

Growers view should financially compare the economic impact of both establishment systems over the whole farm, across several years. Account for the differences in grain production and also consider:
• The elite farm that has 100% of pastures successfully established with lucerne;
• The farm using cover-cropping methods usually has only 20% of pastures with lucerne and the other 80% of the farm’s pastoral area is composed is mostly annual crop weeds because the lucerne failed to establish.

Lead research organisation N/A
Host research organisation N/A
Related program N/A
  • Gale Clarke, Clerical Officer, West Wyalong.
  • Mary-Anne Lattimore, District Agronomist, Yanco
  • Ian Menz, District Agronomist, Condobolin
  • Leigh Jenkins, District Agronomist, Warren.
  • Fiona Scott, Agricultural Economist, Tamworth.

Other trial partners Incitec Pivot Fertilisers
Download the trial report to view additional trial information


Crop type Lucerne
Trial type Article/commentary
Trial design Not applicable

West Wyalong 2014

Sow date Not specified
Harvest date Not specified
Plot size Not specified
Plot replication Not specified
Download the trial report to view additional method/treatment information

Download results

Trial results Table 1

# Treatment 1
Gross margin ($/ha)
1 Cover cropped 89.57
2 Elite establishment 165.17

Gross margin $/ha

Observed trial site soil information
Trial site soil testing
Not specified
Soil conditions
Trial site Soil texture
West Wyalong, NSW Not specified
Derived trial site soil information
Australian Soil Classification Source: ASRIS
Trial site Soil order
West Wyalong, NSW Chromosol
Soil Moisture Source: BOM/ANU
Average amount of water stored in the soil profile during the year, estimated by the OzWALD model-data fusion system.
Year West Wyalong NSW
2014 613.6mm
2013 614.6mm
2012 615.7mm
2011 620.1mm
2010 628.9mm
2009 614.4mm
2008 621.5mm
2007 567.2mm
2006 581.7mm
2005 618.4mm
2004 608.6mm
2003 556.0mm
2002 509.1mm
2001 514.8mm
2000 472.9mm
National soil grid Source: CSIRO/TERN
NOTE: National Soil Grid data is aggregated information for background information on the wider area
Actual soil values can vary significantly in a small area and the trial soil tests are the most relevant data where available

Soil properties



Derived climate information

No observed climate data available for this trial.
Derived climate data is determined from trial site location and national weather sources.

West Wyalong NSW

NOTE: Exact trial site locality unknown - Climate data may not be accurate

Some data on this site is sourced from the Bureau of Meteorology

SILO weather estimates sourced from
Jeffrey, S.J., Carter, J.O., Moodie, K.B. and Beswick, A.R. (2001). Using spatial interpolation to construct a comprehensive archive of Australian climate data , Environmental Modelling and Software, Vol 16/4, pp 309-330. DOI: 10.1016/S1364-8152(01)00008-1.

Trial report and links

2014 trial report

Trial last modified: 25-04-2018 19:02pm AEST